There is no better gift then giving someone a true treasure made by artisans in Haiti. When you see the home decor and jewelry from the Heart of Haiti collection you can see the love that is put into each piece by the people who created them.
One example of the beautiful items is the cow horn Set of 4 Ring Bracelets. When I received them they were delicate, but you could tell they were so strong, and it made me feel like I had a piece of something truly beautiful. The love came through. It made me realize that when buying holiday gifts this year it would be so great to buy something from the Heart of Haiti collection so that every dollar I spend goes to something that helps a country ravaged by disaster. It gives each person a beautiful hand crafted item with purpose. (You can check out my previous review of the Heart of Haiti products and cause.)
What makes Heart of Haiti different, it’s not aid – it’s trade. It’s a partnership between the artisans of Haiti, Macy’s and the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund it is a unique success in the chaos of Haiti.To me it’s like not giving fish to eat, but teaching people to fish instead – this program brings jobs and creates stability in the country. Artisan products are the most important export of Haiti and this program employes 400+ artisans with income reaching over 4,000 Haitian citizens.
FACTS ABOUT HAITI AND HEART OF HAITI
- The sounds of hammering can be heard through the village of Croix-des-Bouquets as artisans make hand-cut, beautifully detailed metal frames. Women in the slum of Cité Soleil, sit in clean surroundings, sewing patchwork quilts to which they proudly embroider their names, in the Seaside village of Jacmel, colorful Paper Mache vases are lined up on sidewalks and rooftops to dry in the sun, ready to be shipped to the US.
- Artisans work out of their own homes and workshops, so they don’t have to brave the dangerous streets.
- Fairwinds Trading guides them, helps with market-design, logistics and electronic-data-interface and imports the products to the US, and has invested +$100k in product development and systems.
- The founder of Fairwinds Trading is Willa Shalit, lifelong artist and activist.
- Macy’s Departments stores markets and sell the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund provides funds for the artists to rebuild their studios to make the orders.
- The goal is to create a SUSTAINABLE means of employment for Haitian artisans.
HEART OF HAITI SOCIAL MEDIA OUTREACH
Currently you can follow them on Twitter @heartofhaiti and connect on Facebook.
Win a Heart of Haiti Candle Holder
Macy’s and Heart of Haiti would like to give one Fashionably Organized reader the Heart of Haiti Candle Holder (MSRP $18).
To enter go to the Heart of Haiti products page on Macy’s site, comment below telling me which product speaks to you.
If you would like to put in additional entries you may do 1 or all below (please leave a comment for each of the following):
- Follow Heart of Haiti on Twitter (@heartofhaiti)
- Follow Fashionably Organized on Twitter (@FashOrganized)
- Tweet this giveaway:
I entered to win a beautiful @heartofhaiti candle holder #giveaway http://bit.ly/FOHeartofHaiti on @FashOrganized
All comments must be posted by December 13th, 8 PM PST. The winner will have 48 hours to confirm after receiving the e-mail from Fashionably Organized. This giveaway complies with FTC guidelines, and FB promotions rules. Please see OFFICIAL RULES, for this giveaway. For the purposes of this giveaway the “Sponsor” is Heart of Haiti.I was given the Set of 4 Ring Bracelets for review. No other compensation was received. The opinion above is my own, swayed only by my inner Fashionista.