When looking at an impeccably dressed person, one thing about their outfit will always stand out: the fitting of their clothes. The secret to looking polished and put together is choosing clothes that are perfect for your form and don’t hang on your body, or worse, are too tight for you. Sometimes all it takes to make an ordinary outfit look amazing is a few subtle nips and tucks in the right places. So if you want to put your best dressed foot forward, look no further because here are the tailoring secrets that every well dressed lady should know.
Find a decent tailor
Recent years has seen a sharp rise in inexpensive high street clothing, thanks to apparel companies creating mass produced clothes made in cheap labor countries. Now people have stopped needing or wanting to tailor their clothes. Why improve what you already own if you can simply replace it with an inexpensive item that might fit better? The rise of disposable clothing has led to people wearing a lot of ill fitting clothes whereas the trick to great style is to tailor your existing pieces to fit you perfectly.
So the first step to becoming well dressed is to tailor every piece that you own to fit you well. The best part of finding a great tailor is that clothes you thought were beyond being salvaged, a pair of jeans that turned out to be a few sizes too big, for example, can be fixed to become a usable favorite in your closet. Never underestimate the transformational power of a bit of sewing thread in the correct hands.
Restore vintage finds
Some of the most stylish years of the 21st century are behind us. The 1950’s had great prom dresses, flashy blazers and suits, the 1970’s inspired rock and roll fashion while the 80’s and 90’s saw the birth of the grunge movement. If you are a fan of vintage fashion, you will be familiar with finding something you absolutely love but it not being in your size. The solution is to take it to the tailor and get it fitted to your size. Even if the size is correct, other problems can arise with vintage finds such as a hemline that is too long, sleeves that are too bilious or several buttons missing. All of these problems can be solved with a series of clever nips and tucks.
The jacket, the blazer and the coat, these are three essentials every woman needs in her closet. When searching for a well fitting jacket or coat, make sure the shoulders of the garment fit you perfectly. If they are too big or too small for you, resist buying it as this is one area that can be tricky to adjust even with the help of the finest tailor. The secret is to try on the jacket and focus on the shoulders. Simple and straightforward advice that works.
Know your shape
The secret to dressing well is to know your body shape. This is the secret that every well dressed woman knows. Buying clothes that look great on you personally and not only on the mannequin will help you look your best. Just because a top looks great in the store window doesn’t mean it will fit you just as well.
Lastly, here are a few points to keep in mind when shopping for great fitting clothes:
- Button down shirts should have seams that lie flat between each button. Choose shirts which are slightly stretchy because those will sit better and you can avoid unflattering gaps between each button.
- Make sure your button down shirt doesn’t bunch up and ride up , which is common in women with fuller hips. For the best fitting shirts, try to walk around a little bit in the shirt to ensure there is plenty of room between the hips and the bottom of your shirt.
- Deep V-neck tops will lengthen your torso and are great for someone who wants to add curves to their top half.
- Nude shoes add inches to your height, making you look taller.
- When buying trousers you should be able to place two figers in the waistband, and if you can’t, get one size bigger. If you find wrinkling in the front part of the trousers when you sit down, they are too small for you.
- When trying on a blazer, there should be no stretching between the two shoulder blades at the back of the blazer. If there is any, the blazer is too small for you.
- Buy jeans that feel a bit snug at first because denim today contains either lycra or spandex and stretches over time.
- Dresses should fit well around the bust and the hips. The way a dress fits around the shoulder area is also an indication of how well the rest of the garment will fit your figure.
- Most women aren’t aware that they are wearing the wrong size bra. Make sure the center part of the bra, between the cups, sits flat against your breast bone. If it doesn’t, you are wearing the wrong size.
Use these tips and tricks to make your next shopping trip a success and to go through your closet and perhaps give new life to clothes that you had written off simply because they were the wrong size. When it comes to fashion and style it’s important to remember that trends come and go but style is an individual statement. Don’t buy something simply because it looks great in the shop window or on a supermodel. Try it on to see how it looks on you, because every body shape is slightly different and some problem areas in a garment simply can’t be altered to suit you. However, when it comes to the clothes that you already own, do see how they fit and perhaps a tailor can help them look even better on you with a few simple fixes.